Friday, January 8, 2010

Sweets - with love from Greece!!

This is a fantastic Greek candy my Greek friend M. send me for xmas: Chalvadopites. She tells me they make it during all seasons and its soft to begin with- and as times goes it goes harder.

She knows how much we love them, so this year she send us 5!! The first time we tasted them, we just loved them at once- they are amazing nougats and I actually kept one from when she came to visit last- not wanting to eat the last one, as I knew it was very speciel- but now as we have so many, we'll eat the delicious candy!! mmm




And chewing gum!!

My friend S send me some wonderful cookies from a famous bakery- traditional  xmas cookies- and they are wonderful- even the youngest who doesnt really like cake, loves them! We fight over the last crumbs!



Melomakarona and kourabiedes


Melomakarona ( meli means honey in Greek)

Kourabiedes, mmm....very light, very delicate, incredible crunchy and crumbly- my all time favorite! I once tried to make the kourabiedes myself last year, but I have to admit..they were no where near as good as these, but they sort of looked almost right, didnt they?


These are my attempt last year;)

3 comments:

  1. halvadopites it is ... not pasteli ... traditional product of Syros (island in Agean Sea)

    mrs c.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know..I still some Pasteli, will bring a pic of it too:=)

    ReplyDelete
  3. kourabiedes is also a bad word in greece. If you want to curse somebody u call him kourabie. It means stupid, silly or fool.

    You should be the only Danish who makes kourabiedes lol, I dont like them, they are crunchy, I prefer melomakarona with lots of honey sirop yum!

    ReplyDelete