Saturday, December 5, 2009

My "Knækbrød" experiment

Knækbrød is a swedish invention, though we eat a lot of it in Denmark too. It comes in all kinds of variations and from quite a few brands and its healthy and tasty. And best of all: crispy!


I tried to make my own experiments - wanted a "Knækbrød" that was crispy, but in a hard cripsy way not a bubbly, airy kind of crispy..with lots of fibers and goods! Its good with fresh cold butter, cheese or jam- once you eat homemade Knækbrød u cant go back!


First I made a sourdough from fullgrained ryeflour and water and a TINY which I fermented over a week- I used a few cups of water and the rye flour and added some more rye everyday to feed the sourdough ( sometimes if I am in a hurry I add a tiny bit of yeast, but not more than a few gram). When thats ready I made a dough from a bit of the sourdoug, some fullgrained spelt, a tiny bit of wheat flour, water, Maldoner Salt, a tiny bit of oil ( a spoonful or so), sesame seeds,  white, or Nigella seeds ( I loove those) and sometimes sunflower seeds or whatever I have in the house- preferebly all ecological.



I mix it well and makes sort of a very wet dough, let it raise for some hours, and in the end I roll it out very flat and very thin- slice the dough into squares, sprinkle with more Maldoner salt and sesame seeds, black and white ( or Nigella) and put it in the oven on 180 degrees, untill its all crispy and hard. Let it cool slightly before you break it up!

Make sure its baked all through, and cooled off completely before storing it in aritight containers or they wont be crispy just hard and boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment